Santa Cruz, CA
Marketing & Communications (MarCom) Manager Posting
FT/PT: 40%-50% time as needed
Status: Non-Exempt, hourly, At-Will
Reports To: Head of School
Gateway School, in beautiful Santa Cruz, CA, is a CAIS accredited, independent, K-8 day school of 240 students that serves children with the intellectual curiosity and self-motivation to thrive in an academically challenging environment. Our school is notable for its innovative instruction and programs, close student-teacher relationships, supportive parent community, and small classes. We seek, and strive to maintain, a culturally and ethnically diverse community, and are committed to the principles that promote inclusive practices. We value the skills, knowledge and experiences a diverse workforce brings to our school.
The MarCom Manager, under the direction of senior management is responsible for the design and/or implementation of all areas of marketing, communications, advertising and media, including; branding and messaging, media and advertising campaigns, print advertising and marketing collateral, social media, website and SEO optimization. This role is responsible to support and participate in special and school sponsored events and other activities in conjunction with the Admissions and Development teams.
Specific duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Ensure continuity of Gateway brand, identity, and message in marketing plans, campaigns and materials
- Develop annual and long-term integrated marketing and communication plans
- Research and recommend innovative marketing and advertising initiatives.
- Align administrative tactics to increase enrollment, donor engagement, and fundraising with marketing plans
- Oversee website revisions and maintenance
- Lead and manage social media campaigns and post to all social media feeds
- Actively participate in the design and production of regularly produced event collateral and school publications, including advertising and outreach materials to attract prospective families
- Investigate avenues for relationship building with referral sources (real estate, UCSC, local corporation HR depts., etc)
- Participate on the Marketing Task Force
- Promote continuity of Gateway mission, brand and messaging in print and electronic communications
- Manage and coordinate communication processes, systems and plans
- Build and maintain relationships with media sources and marketing channels
- Manage media and public relations including press releases, media coverage and other outlets
- Support existing relationships with vendors, photographers, graphic designers, and others
- Conduct demographic and market research as requested or needed
- Participate in the School’s “Look and Feel” efforts to deliver a professional and attractive campus
- Support implementation of the school’s customer service approach
- Photograph school events
- Support institutional conversations about culturally competent and relevant instruction.
- Other duties as assigned
Gateway School offers interested applicants:
- A constructivist/experiential learning environment;
- Students who are ready to learn and have a solid foundation;
- A learning environment that encourages instructional staff to excel at their craft;
- A school that values teaching the student how to be a learner, rather than a test-taker;
- A community of parents that highly values and supports our teachers;
- An administration that encourages creativity, innovation and professional development;
- A school community committed to creating a safe and inclusive space that explicitly promotes and addresses issues of social justice and equity.
- A faculty and staff that is collegial and focuses on the continued improvement of the school.
Bachelor’s degree preferred and three year’s related experience in marketing, advertising or communications support role and/or a combination of education and experience. Extensive knowledge of marketing and communications processes, media and social media, print advertising and special events.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including humor, tact, patience and courtesy
- Kind, pleasant and effective communicator, willing to serve people at all levels in the organization
- Well-developed business ethics and the ability to maintain a high level of discretion and confidentiality
- Ability to interact professionally with a culturally diverse community
- Ability to deal effectively with multiple priorities, functions and activities
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite including Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience with WordPress, social media (Facebook, etc), Google Adwords, Google Analytics, email marketing (Constant Contact, etc)
- Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign) skills preferred
Salary and benefits are competitive. Salary is dependent upon relevant education, experience, and other related skills, background and training, and/or a combination of education and experience.
To apply for this position, e-mail a resume with cover letter explaining: 1) why you are interested in this opportunity, 2) what makes you qualified, and 3) your salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: until filled or a sufficient number of qualified submissions have been received.
Gateway School is an equal opportunity employer and embraces and promotes a diverse work environment (W/M/D/V). Opportunities are open to all individuals without regard to race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, or any other legally protected class.